The Kentucky Democratic Party (KDP) is seeking a communications director for the 2024election cycle. The communications director is responsible for helping advance the KDP’s press strategy in Kentucky including taking on Republicans in Frankfort, working to hold Republican candidates accountable, and supporting Governor Beshear, Lt. Governor Jacqueline Coleman, Congressman Morgan McGarvey, and other Democratic leaders and candidates.
The communications director reports directly to the KDP’s executive director and closely collaborates with candidates and campaign staff.
- Work closely with allies to create and execute strategic communications plans to support Kentucky Democrats and hold Republican candidates accountable during the 2024campaign cycle, including serving as an on-the-record spokesperson;
- Draft press releases, talking points and media pitches, along with reporter backgrounders, op-eds, social media content, and other materials as needed;
- Plan and organize press events and press tours across Kentucky to achieve key goals;
- Help cultivate and maintain contact with key political and policy reporters in Kentucky;
- Work in tandem with the KDP Digital Department to utilize digital assets to reach broader audiences;
- Manage other special projects, assignments, and tasks as assigned by the KDP’s executive director.
- Two to three years of work experience in political communications with at least one cycle of experience working at a statewide level either in an official office or in a campaign capacity;
- A demonstrated record of pitching stories, cultivating reporter relations, and staffing principals for interviews;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, with the flexibility to adapt to a changing media environment in order to take advantage of new opportunities;
- Proven ability to collaborate and coordinate with the offices of multiple stakeholders -including both in-state and national interests;
- Create and distribute talking points and messaging based on research and policy analysis;
- Strong writing skills with ability to write and edit on a tight deadline;
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to Democratic candidates and causes;
- Must be comfortable with long, irregular hours during peak seasons.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is commensurate with experience. KDP offers a generous benefits package including covering 100% of the healthcare premium for the employee, 15 days of paid vacation, and an available 401(k) retirement account.
To apply, e-mail your resume and at least two writing samples or other relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kentucky Democratic Party is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.